Friday, September 1, 2017

Kaleidoscope of Butterflies

 My latest butterfly quilt is now in the hoop and getting some hand quilting.  I made these from floral scraps and used a free Robert Kaufman pattern called Ghost Moth. 
 I've been using regular hand quilting threads in different colors and have been quilting diagonal lines in the top wings and been quilting 1/4 inch inside the seams on bottom wings.  Then I quilt 1/4 inch all around the outside of the butterfly in white thread. I'm not sure what I will quilt in the large background areas - maybe I'll quilt in some flowers.  

I've also finished a set of embroidered pillowcases I picked up from the thrift store that were stamped with a butterfly and morning glories.  These will go into the hope chest for the grandkids. 



Ann of Fret Not Yourself is making butterflies  this month and has drafted a template if you want to sew along.  They sure are cute and so tempting! 

In regard to real butterflies: 

Almost every afternoon my husband and I take time to go out on the deck for about an hour and just sit and talk and enjoy nature.   Sometimes I take out the camera and am able to capture some butterfly photos - here is a Painted Lady in the pansies. 

And guess what landed on my Lantana and stayed awhile! A Monarch!

I just love butterflies!




7 comments:

Nana said...

Your butterflies are beautiful and I love the fact that your background fabric is also a floral. This makes them look so natural. I hand appliqued butterflies 45 years ago before my first child was born and many years later my Mom hand quilted for me. It was for my daughter and she has it. Maybe it is time to make one for her daughter. You inspire me.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your garden looks beautiful, and how lucky to see a monarch! Enjoy your hand quilting on the butterfly quilt!

---"Love" said...

I love butterflies, and those on your quilt are lovely. The embroidered pillow cases have beautiful butterflies too. Nice work. ---"Love"

Julierose said...

Lovely butterfly quilt--beautiful fabrics on these....hugs, Julierose

Janie said...

Beautiful work, the hand quilting is a nice touch!
I like your photos too, you have a way with butterflies, they trust you.

cityquilter grace said...

hope chest? haven't heard that phrase in eons...my aunts did tons of needlework for theirs and taught me in the bargain...evokes memories of cedar smell and freshly ironed cotton...lovely cases

Ann said...

This pattern works so well with your fabrics. Think about making in a QAL next year. In all your free time. Haha.