Tuesday, January 9, 2018

It's a Flimsy: Birthday Wishes !


Birthday Wishes
60 x 72
It's a flimsy!

(No design wall here and it's too cold to go outside to take a picture so you just get glimpses for now until it is actually a finish). 

 It consists of 30 different 12 inch stars with a blue background done in 30s reproduction fabrics. 

Long ago (maybe 2013 and/or 2014??) I joined in two different birthday clubs and these stars are what I requested when my birthday month rolled around.   I was surprised that there were no star repeats especially since these were two different groups of people.   Of course I didn't have enough for a quilt the size I wanted so I had to make several of the 30 blocks.  I had a difficult time coming up with a variety of different stars but I made it....finally!! 
 When I dug out this UFO I was surprised I only needed one more block. I'm not sure what I was thinking size-wise originally but I figured now 60 x 72 suits me for a nice lap quilt.  I was probably originally thinking of adding sashing to make a bigger bed quilt but I don't like to make sashing so I didn't.   Now it may look pretty busy when all is said and done but I kind of like 
no-place-for-the-eyes-to-rest-here kind of quilts. 

This is the final block I came up with and made the other day to move this oldie forward. It's actually not a star (it's called Duck Tracks)  but it looks like one to me. 

And, hey, I even found enough fabric for a backing and have it ready to go. I bought it to do some chicken scratch embroidery to use for sashing in my Grandma's Apron Strings quilt but those gingham squares were waaaaaay too tiny for that. 

If I feel in the mood to crawl around on the floor (and suffer the consequences) I may even get it pin basted tonight. MAY. 

My big decision for the day is whether to make pumpkin pie or pumpkin bread or pumpkins bars from the pumpkin I took out of the freezer last night.  The pumpkins were prolific in the garden last year so maybe I should research some new recipes. 



9 comments:

Connie said...

I absolutely love what I see . . . it is going to be a delightful quilt. I adore all the fabric, they have such a vintage flour sack feel to them and your blocks are amazing.
Happy quilting!
Connie :)
P.S. I'm celebrating my 6th year of blogging with a Give-A-Way . . . please come join the fun and get your name in the hat:)

Julierose said...

Another lovely piece here...I like the scrappiness a lot hugs, Julierose

Ellen said...

I love the Duck Tracks block - that's a new one for me. Fun!

---"Love" said...

I'm looking forward to seeing all the different stars. I know it will be a beautiful quilt! ---"Love"

Janie said...

Birthday wishes to you!
Stars are classic, they always look good.
I like the orange and brown friendship star, 'duck tracks' ?
The blue gingham does work well.

em's scrapbag said...

I adore this! The gingham will be perfect for the back.

mangozz said...

I've never heard of Duck Tracks before but it's a cute and different block. It's amazing that no two stars were alike.

gayle said...

I'm always a sucker for stars, and these look spectacular! I'm looking forward to getting a look at the whole quilt!
Duck Tracks is a new one on me, too. Looks like another fun block, star or not!

Daffycat said...

It’s beautiful! Congratulations! I don’t have a floor space large enough to baste on so I use a six foot folding table and clamp the quilt to it in sections. I still get cramped muscles and an aching back from leaning over he table.