Tuesday, January 2, 2018

It's a Flimsy - Homespun Fun!

Homespun Fun
It's a flimsy!
54 x 78

Baby it's cold outside!!  I'm not going out there. I don't have anywhere to take good photos of a big quilt top except outside hanging on a clothesline so you only get to see a snippet of the whole top for now. 

The six inch Friendship Stars in homespuns and muslin were blocks from a really, really old swap. I recently dug this UFO out of storage and made some nine patches in homespuns and muslin for an alternate block.  Rather than make a Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt I made some of the units she gave as clues to move my UFOs forward.  And that's why I made all these nine patches. 


One of the many reasons I don't get quilts completed is because I am out of batting or I need to piece together some batting. Another reason is because I don't have a back ready.  This year I'm going to try to get a back ready at the same time I finish a top.   So, here is the backing - a plaid thrift store sheet that is just the right size.  I think I have a little bit of batting left on a roll.  I might even get this pin basted this week.  


I even know what I'm going to do with the leftover homespun fabrics that have been around here for years.  By year end I hope they are all used up and my sewing room has one less box of fabrics. 

This will make a nice donation quilt for a guy if my husband doesn't take it to replace the one in his recliner that he thinks is getting worn out.  But it's a little short for his long legs. 





13 comments:

audrey said...

I love how you just plug along, finishing up all these older ufo's! Great inspiration to the rest of us. This one is sweet. There's just something about plaids!

Libby in TN said...

Friendship Star is so easy and and effective. And who can resist plaids? For the same reason I started making backs when a flimsy is finished (but I still don't get them quilted!).

Linda said...

What a great quilt. I love the look of the alternating blocks using muslin and plaids. Are the plaids from shirts? Is your thrift shop sheet 100% cotton? Lots of questions. Just curious.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Great looking quilt top - and I like the plaid back. I try VERY hard to generate or choose a back along with finishing the top. Otherwise the tops would waste away waiting for me to decide later.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

yes it is cold outside - our normal cold temperatures return tomorrow to the mid 30's and that is usually cold to us, now it will feel warm compared to the teens we have been having lately

Quilter Kathy said...

Cool effect combining 9 patches with friendship stars!

mangozz said...

You've made a good start to this new year with a finished top already. I always try to make up a backing soon after finishing a top, but I am still behind on putting them together. Like you, I either need batting or backings or both and I hate basting a large quilt. I can't do it on the floor because my back kills me and then I can't get up. My sister lets me use a table she has but she is over an hours ride away and I've been having car problems. Besides,we are having the coldest weather in 100 years and I hate it. Problems, problems!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh that one just sings!!!! and I am glad you have a back already!!!!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Oh I do love the plaids, and this one really is a great ufo to get finished! I think it's a good idea to go that one step further & get the backing sorted if possible. I tend to make the binding ... but that's problematical as I haven't made the backing nor sorted the batting!

Louise said...

What is it about backings that makes us put them off? I tend to make a bunch all at once, which is quite satisfying, then wonder why I didn't do it earlier. I really like the easy going, traditional look of these blocks in homespun plaids and hope you get some good weather to show off the whole thing!

Pamela Arbour said...

You might as well go ahead and prepare that binding too! I am getting better and having the backing and binding ready for my quilt tops when they are finished.

I am looking forward to seeing the finish. I love your fabrics.

Nana said...

Simply beautiful, I love those tried and true easy piece squares. Keep encouraging all of us to pull out the UFO and get them completed.

Ann said...

I like the way you updated your friendship stars with these nine patches. Plaids are always a great. These show off so well against the muslin. Congrats on moving an old top along.
I’d like to empty a couple of boxes, too.